Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Trick to Custom Candles

Being in the Party Favor Industry I'm always looking for a better way to do things , and still give my customers what they need. Personalized candles have been around forever and there are different ways to go about making them custom. You could order them from an imprint company, but these can get expensive. Adding labels is another option but then they can't be burned due to the label. The most common way I have found that people do to make their own candles is to print their graphic on tissue paper than dissolve it on to the candle with a heat element. Yes, this does work but getting tissue paper through your printer isn't always the best for your printer, nor is it easy to do without ripping.
Here is what I have found that works for me, and I think it's pretty simple. Whatever program you use for graphics,text, etc., you are going to need to be sure you can mirror the image so that it is backwards.



You are going to print this out on T-shirt Transfer Paper for Light Colored Clothes.Then you will cut out your image as close to the image as possible to eliminate as much of white part of the paper as you can.



Next place your image face down on the candle ,and using a popsicle stick or other similar tool, to rub on the image onto the candle. This will take a little longer than using your standard rub on graphic.



Once that is completed you will then using a hair dryer or heating element if you have one, to melt the image into the candle. Keep the heat moving in all directions so you don't end up with any dents due to the candle melting in that spot. The heat from the dryer will blend any of the white parts of your image into the candle




Once you see that all your white parts are well blended you are done. Be sure to let the candle cool so you don't smear your design. Practice makes perfect!

10 comments:

  1. What a great how to! This is terrific! Nice work! :) Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful tutorial. Does it only work on white candles? I think I'd like to feature it on my blog if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried it on dark candles, only because of the paper being white. They do make transfer paper for dark clothes so that may work out depending on the color. Thanks for the comment, you may feature it if you like, send me a link so I can check it out.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. where did you find the crown graphic? i'm looking for something simlar for a girls night out party invite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'VE BEEN DOING CANDLES FOR MANY YRS NOW MYSELF, BUT HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF THE TSHIRT TRANSFER. I HAVE SOME OF THAT ALSO. I USUALLY USE A TAPE RUNNER OR A PIECE OF CLEAR TAPE ON THE UPPER AND BOTTOM PART OF THE COMPUTER PAPER BEFORE I RUN IT AND THE TISSUE THROUGH THE PRINTER. IT USUALLY DOES GREAT. AFTER I CUT OUT MY DESIGN AND ALIGNN IT ON THERE, I WRAP SOME WAXED PAPER AROUND IT ALL AND FORM A "HANDLE" IN THE BACK TO HOLD ONTO WHILE WARMING WITH HEAT GUN. JUST DO A LITTLE AT A TIME AND IT WORKS GREAT. (THE WAX PAPER WON'T BURN YOUR FINGERS ) KARI

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a great idea!! thanks!!I hope you have a fabulous day!! hugs!! Britt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow i have been looking for such a tutorial for ages .. i have just tried this as i happen to have the t shirt transfer paper , worked first time cant believe it! any tips for managing not to melt the wax a little would be appreciated lol .. :) sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! It is such an easy way to make personalized party favors, and they are so cute! I will 100% be doing this for my next party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHO KNEW? Great idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! this is very easy to do. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete